Thursday, September 18, 2014

Matt Cessna finds a home and family in Fredonia.......



Hello everyone, my name is Matt Cessna and I am a Business-Management Major here at Fredonia. I am going to be turning 21 in my freshman year because I played 2 years of Junior Hockey after I graduated High School in Chicago, IL. I have lived away from home since the age of 16 so that I could pursue my dream of one day becoming a student-athlete. Now 4 years later Fredonia and Coach Jeff Meredith gave me the chance to make my dream come true.

My first month here has been nothing but the best. All the hockey guys, starting with our captain, Cory Melkert were very welcoming and have made me feel right at home. Also playing junior hockey with Hunter Long, Marcus Ortiz, Erik Moberg, and Oskar Gerhardson helped a lot because Hunter, Marcus, and Erik have been here for a year so they know what is expected in the class room and on the ice. To have them give me such helpful information right at the beginning of my college career helped me get right into the swing of things.

The first week of classes did feel a little weird since I haven't been in a classroom for 2 years. All the teachers are more than helpful and really dedicate their time to help not only me but all the students in their classes succeed. Going from Junior hockey where you have all the time in the world to college where it feels like you don't have enough time in the day was a transition that went very smoothly due to everyone on campus being so friendly and helpful. Everyone on the hockey team have given me pointers and tips that they have learned to make them successful and did not hesitate to pass that along to me. I am very thankful for this once in a lifetime opportunity at a great school to live out my dream of being a student-athlete.

Not only does Coach Meredith make sure we are successful in the classroom and on the ice but also in the community. So last weekend we all went out for Senior Citizen Work Day and helped senior citizens with any work they needed done around their home. It felt great to go out and help such a wonderful community that has welcomed me with open arms. I am very excited for my future here at Fredonia and hope to help the hockey team raise a few more banners in Steele Hall, to succeed in the classroom and also be active in this great community.

Thanks for reading and hope to see all of you around campus and at our games.

Matt Cessna #19

No comments:

Post a Comment