Monday, April 21, 2014

How Canada was named......you gotta read this...........



Hello All!

I hope everyone’s Easter break was nice and relaxing.

I’ve had a pretty busy two weeks, as you can see in Frankie Hart’s last post. I had 4 exams in two days and this week I had 1 exam, 1 quiz, and 2 assignments so this long weekend was much needed for me. 

It’s been pretty relaxing up in the north of Toronto.  Hanging out with my family has been great watching the hockey playoffs, the Toronto Raptors and some of the Blue Jays games so I’m feeling like a true sports fan.

While watching sports, my sister who is a student at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in Toronto made each of my family members pick a medical topic to learn, to quiz her for upcoming exams.  I was responsible for learning some of the different parasites for her Microbiology course which turned out to be a pretty disgusting topic.  This was part of 1 exam, out of the 11 she has coming up within the next two weeks, just bringing exam season to a whole new level for her.

Myself being a Canadian I want to share with you a little history of Canada. When Canada first became a Country the Queen of England was trying to figure out a proper name for this great place. She came up with names that would suite this cold land mass such as: “Florida (but that was already taken), The Republic of Syrup, New Beaverland, or ‘Is this pond frozen yet?’” but she was not satisfied with any of these names so she summoned somebody from the Great White north to help her in the name creation process, whose name was Jacques Zamboni.  Jacques came up with a great idea that the Queen really liked so they moved forward with it by putting all the letters of the alphabet into a barrel and Jacques would pick out one by one. The first letter he pulled out he said was “it’s a ‘C’, eh!” then said, “it’s a “’N’, eh!” and then a “’D’, eh!” and that’s how we came up with CANADA.
This is one of my grandpa’s corny jokes I thought you guys would like to hear, but in all seriousness Canada’s name originated from an Indian tribe that named this land mass Kanata before it was changed into Canada.

I hope everyone had a fun and relaxing break!

-Church out
(Kurt Gottschalk #6)

No comments:

Post a Comment