Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Vent some of my frustrations over lost NHL season

I am going to take this opportunity to vent some of my frustrations over yet another NHL lockout. For the past two years, each Thanksgiving break I was able to catch an NHL game. In my Freshman year, my parents came down and we made a trip to NYC. We were lucky enough to be able to see the Rangers play my favorite team, the Calgary Flames, in a packed Madison Square Garden arena. Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, the Rangers ended up beating my Flames, but it was a great experience nonetheless. Last year, in my Sophomore year, I traveled down to Pittsburgh to visit my uncle for the break. This time I was able to see the Penguins lose to the St.Louis Blues in Sidney Crosby's second game back after his injury. It was a lot of fun sitting in a packed house of angry Penguins fans as I cheered against their beloved Crosby.  This year, however, I will not get the same opportunity. I was especially looking forward to catching a Penguins game this year, as a friend I played minor hockey with, Brandon Sutter,  was traded to Pittsburgh over the Summer. It is frustrating that greed and stubbornness are forcing me to watch football and basketball highlights instead of watching the NHL. The only exciting event happening in sports right now is the Calgary Stampeders heading to the Grey Cup in the CFL. I think both the league and the players should be embarrassed by the fact they are in their second lockout in under a decade. I was very interested to see how Jay Feaster could make my Flames even worse, but it looks like I will have to wait until next year for that.
-Jeff Holloway # 31

No comments:

Post a Comment