Thursday, February 28, 2013

The legend of the green helmet....

Hey there, its JD again back for another FredState Hockey blog.  It is a gloomy rainy day here in Fredonia and i was puzzled on what to write about today that would interest you.  It came to me today when i was in the locker room cleaning up the rest of my gear when I saw our infamous Green CCM helmet.  It was an achievement for the worst plus-minus overall and was added up every week, worst plus-minus had to wear that ugly old lime green bucket for the whole week of practice.  You had the ability to continuously wear the helmet each week if you were the most minus on the squad.  The first week was a tie and came down to a shootout of 5 guys, one of them being me.  I was so close to strapping on the helmet, but I dodge a bullet and Chad Bennet wore it for the first week losing in the shootout to decide it.  I eventually earned it and wore it the third week.  Yes it might have been embarrassing for the week, wearing that eye sore on your head, but it made sure that week you worked harder on your d zone and followed it in to the games on the weekend.  I'm pretty sure it also saved my noggin from a concussion also when Nosky #5 buried me in practice.  Overall while the legend of the green bucket lasted it brought some humor, embarrassment, and motivation to our team that I will not forget.
Talk to you soon,
John DeFeo #15

No comments:

Post a Comment