Friday, May 3, 2013

Palmy gets his start as a goalie...........

The week is winding down, and so is my desire for studying. Luckily I only have one more test left and then its the weekend! It is too bad that for Fred Fest this year there is no performer. Last year was awesome as Lupe Fiasco came. It was a pretty cool to have a big name performer come to our small school.
Either way as always, the weather is gorgeous and I am stuck here in the library. If you look back to a previous blog of mine, the same picture is applicable as I am sitting in a cubby trying to study. A lot of people probably don't like to blog or find that its difficult to write about something different every day. As for me its a time to get away from the studying and to share memories and reminisce in the good times.
Palmy in net!
One memory I'll never forget is one of the first times I ever played goalie. It was on a rec league team, and as anyone probably knows they occasionally have a random player play goalie. I volunteered for this game in particular as it was against this team that was known to be really skilled and nobody else wanted to. Oh boy were they ever! Here there team was, way bigger than our players and way beyond the skill level we had. I was dressed in these tiny red goalie pads, most likely put on the opposite legs as I didn't know how to put them on, just a regular helmet and some beat up glove and blocker. Basically I was not ready for the skill set of these players. I got shelved on. The score ended up about 9-0. However the reason I'll never forget is because I realized how much fun it was to play goalie (once you get over the flying rubber coming at you). The other reason is because although the score was so high, I must have made over 50 saves. It was awesome. The other team was saying how good I played for never doing it and the boys on my team appreciated me stepping in and doing that. 
The last and final thing that I will remember about that game is my dad coming up to me. he says, "So you're probably never going to want to do that again are you?" My response was as follows, "Are you kidding? That was awesome! you see how many saves I had?" My Dad started laughing and since then I played goalie for our team for the rest of the season and started to play goalie. As I used to play defense I always wonder how good I would have been if i still played D instead of switching over however, i love the position I am in and couldn't be happier at where I am at in my career. 

As always,

Palmy

No comments:

Post a Comment