Friday, May 4, 2012

25 years ago tonight was my first night on campus

It was 25 years ago tonight that I spent my first night in Fredonia.  Recently hired, but still working at Hamilton College, I used to drive to Fredonia on weekends to recruit and begin to put our program together.  When I would stay weekends, the college would put me up in the 'guest room' at Hendrix Hall.  Here is how my first night went.

I had a long day so Friday night I went to bed early about 9:30PM.  Staying in the dorm was pretty noisy and being the last day of classes, it might have been extra crazy.  Anyways, the Fire Alarm goes off at 11PM.  I get out of bed, get dressed, and walk out of the dorm with the others that are trying to get away from the endless clang of fire bells.  Apparently somebody pulled the alarm so after about 30 minutes outside, we then get to come back in.

Again at 1:30 AM the alarm bells go off.  I'm starting to get ticked off now, but do the right thing and exit the building.  Seems like a few more people are waiting outside with me and they, well, let's just say they were in a party mood!

Last straw...at 3:30 AM the alarms go off a third time.  I get up, get dressed, get packed, and leave for a local hotel which I check into for the rest of the night.  I am happy to say that there were no more fire alarms that night at the hotel and for the next 5 hours, I had a restful sleep.  Welcome to Fredonia.

Well that night was exactly 25 years ago tonight and as bizarre as it was, it still brings back very good memories.

Coach Meredith

1 comment:

  1. Cool story Coach!

    Wow - 25 years! Congratulations! I'm proud to have been a part of a couple of those early years. Also, very lucky to have been a part of the early years of Blue Devil Hockey.

    All the Best,

    Mark McGrath

    ReplyDelete